Tips to Stay Professional in the Midst of Home Routines
Post by : favouritehomes
The rampaging COVID-19 pandemic has led to many people working from home. While this has many advantages as people don’t have to spend so much time on commuting or being away from the family. Having said that, there are some shortfalls too, as it’s difficult to stay focused on work in the home environment where other temptations are constantly vying for your attention. The isolation from colleagues is another downer for those used to hobnobbing at work.
Here are some ways to stay professional and focused on work amidst home routines:
- Having a dedicated workspace at home helps you make a clear divide between work and household duties. It helps you focus better as well as lets your family members know that you are ‘at work’ and shouldn’t be disturbed unnecessarily.
- Being kind to yourself while managing your expectations is important, after all it’s not easy to strictly adhere to just ‘work’ only when working from home. You are bound to get distracted. Others however utilize the opportunity of ‘work from home’ and focus better away from office distractions, and become even more productive!
- Having an established routine ensures greater control over your work life. Create a daily schedule with fixed timing and try to stick to it. However, you need to be prepared for some flexibility in this schedule as working from home is prone to distractions – however hard you try to maintain control. Don’t stress overtly on it.
- Just like you would do at the office, you will need to take regular breaks too. Getting away from your work table for 10-15 minutes will not only bring you back with a refreshed mind and better focus, but you can use this break time to mingle with the family or step out on the balcony for some fresh air.
- Proactive communication of your needs is key to keeping your professional life on the straight path. It’s essential to let your family know too if you are struggling to stay on track with your work or project. In the absence of colleagues, a little family encouragement can go a long way in keeping you motivated.