Help for First-Time Home Buyers

Help for First-Time Home Buyers
Tips For - First Time Home Buyer

Economic growth, as well as the easy availability of home loans and disposable incomes, has load to a boost in investment in the realty sector. But buying a home can be a pretty daunting affair, especially for those who haven’t taken the time out to do some in-depth research first. Though shopping around for a home can be a lot of fun, the testy part begins when you have to start the formalities on the actual home purchase itself.

There are a lot of legalities and paperwork involved and this is the point where many an unprepared buyer has fallen prey to fraudulent agents and builders. This home is going to be with you for many years to come and you don’t want to spend a lifetime grinding your teeth; you want to make sure you are getting exactly when you are paying for.

A large sum of money is involved in home-buying and you will want everything to go as smoothly and above-board as possible. Since a large sum is at stake, many hire the services of a good property lawyer to vet and interpret the cryptic sale documents before closing the deal. However, for your own knowledge, here is a shortlist of documents to check before making a purchase.

Approved building plan:

An approved plan is crucial to starting construction otherwise the building becomes illegal. Ensure it has an approved building plan and that there are no discrepancies between the structure and the plan.

No objection certificate (NOC):

The presence of this certificate ensures that all relevant departments have given clearance letters for the building including electricity, water, pollution, urban planning, etc.

Certificate of Commencement:

Once the builder has received clearance certificates from the various departments, the builder can receive a commencement certificate from the local government authority and only then start the construction legally.

Certificate of conversation:

This is an optional certificate and only needed if agricultural or forest land is being converted for commercial use.

Certificate of completion:

This is for ready-to-move-in homes and should state that amenities like electricity, water and drainage are provided.

Original sale deed:

This is provided by the builder and gives you complete ownership of your property. It will also mention your portion of the property if it’s an apartment building.

Occupancy certificate:

This document isn’t required for property registration, but you must collect it from your builder as it represents the completion of the building as per the rules and regulations of the local building authority and makes its construction legal.

Finally, transfer the title deed to your name!